In Ayurveda, Panchakarma is considered a very effective method of treatment; the main purpose of the treatment is to detoxify the body. In our due course of life, our body goes through continuous catabolic processes and as a result of this process the waste products (toxins) present in our body are released. These toxins are known as ‘Aam’. This aam is the main cause of various diseases. The Panchakarma Therapies removes Aam from the body effectively without leaving any hostile effects on the body. If we break the word Panchakarma in two words it bifurcates into ‘Pancha’ which means five and ‘Karma’ means Actions/Therapies. Panchakarma is amazing because it eliminate toxins from the system, rebalance the Doshas, heal countless ailments and renew a sense of clarity and inner-peace.
Nasya= Nasal irrigation
Vamana= Therapeutic Vomiting
Raktamokshana= Blood Letting
However, practices like therapeutic vomiting and blood letting are no longer practiced today and have been replaced with more relaxing, mild therapies such as oil-massages and gentle therapies.
These therapies are known as “Pradhan Karma” the “Main procedures”. Some of them are: Snehan (Oleation/Massage) and Swedan (Steam) that must be done before main therapies that’s why these procedures are called Purva Karma. Purva Karma is a preparative stage for the Pradhan Karma; it brings the aggravated doshas in koshtha (digestive tract) for their elimination.
Benefits of Panchakarma Therapy Include:
A Typical Day May Look Like:
1. Wake up with sunrise and practice gentle yoga and meditation
2. Drink a cup of spiced tea with cumin, ginger, cardamom, fennel seeds and other spices and herbs for your Dosha
3. Begin your first treatment of the day, such as an oil-massage for the back, head or naval
4. Spend time in the steam-bath to release toxins
5. Eat a detoxifying lunch of khichari, lentils and rice in healing spices
6. Walk around in nature or sit and meditate. No technology or exercise!
7. Undergo another treatment, such as enema
8. Consume a light dinner of more khichari or cooked vegetables and rice
Read, meditate and head to bed for another healing, oily day